Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Another Way to Win

Last night I went to a parent/teacher event at my daughter's school. The kids got their report cards - then had the opportunity to perform for all of the adults present in the classroom. They played a tic-tac-toe spelling game with the girls pitted against the boys. When my daughter was asked to spell the word polite, she did so (flawlessly I might add) and went to place her X on the board to win the game. But instead of winning, she placed her X in another spot and extended the game a little longer, giving the girls two possible routes to win. After the girls won, I asked her why she didn't just end the game when she had the chance. She said, "Daddy, I wanted to make sure our team had another way to win." Her comments blessed me in two ways. First, she doesn't have a killer instinct to win. She just enjoys playing the game and I appreciate that. Second, her example reminded me that God is not in Heaven trying to keep us from winning in this life. He wants us to win, and if we self destruct, He will create new ways (paths) to help us fulfill our ultimate purpose. If you have made mistakes in your life, don't believe the lie that God can't use you to make a difference in this world. God knew you were going to fail before it ever happened in real time. He is patient, and loving - and if you will surrender your situation to Him, He can find you another way to win.

When you get a chance, you may want to read Isaiah 42:16
CAP